Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

D.O.P. Monti Iblei

I.G.P. Sicilia








Tin: small formats



Tin: large formats



The farm is situated at an altitude of 300 meters above sea level. Tonda Iblea variety accounts for 65% of the cultivated surface, while the remaining 35% consists of the cultivars Siracusana (Zaituna), Biancolilla, Nocellara (Etnea and from Belice) and Oglialora (Verdesa).

The organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil D.O.P. CAVASECCA is obtained solely from olives grown on the estate, in full compliance with methods provided by the organic farming system, the Protected Designation of Origin and the Typical Geographical Indication .

The Protected Designation of Origin guarantees the validity of the declared origin, of production rules observation and of the nutritional and organoleptic qualities.

D.O.P. is not simply an acronym, it is a VALUE.



The olive harvest begins in October. The technique used is called “Brucatura”, which consists of manual detachment of the fruits from the trees. Olives are transported to the olive oil mill using perforated plastic cases within 12 hours since the harvest in order to ensure their natural freshness.


Once in the olive oil mill, the olives are washed with clean water in order to remove residual leaves and other impurities.


The olives are crashed by steel hammers inside special containers. This phase produces an homogeneous mixture whose temperature is kept under control, since an overheating may damage the quality of the extracted oil.


The malaxation is the action of slowly churning or mixing the homogeneous olives mixture. The churning allows the smaller droplets of oil released by the milling process to aggregate and be more easily separated. In order to obtain an high quality product, a low temperature is needed during the malaxation phase – from here comes the expression “Cold Extracted”.


The olives mixture undergoes a centrifugation through a two-phase decanter. Centrifugation, for the diversity of specific weights, discards the residue and separates the vegetation water from the oil.


The oil is stored in stainless steel oxygen-free tanks. A modern nitrogen system enables to better preserve the oil quality, delaying the oxidation process caused by oxygen.


The last phase of the olive oil production process is the bottling and packaging. First the Extra Virgin Olive Oil P.D.O. Monti Iblei is tested for chemical and organoleptic analysis as provided for by law. Then the bottles are filled with our olive oils, encapsulated and finally labeled.


The ancient and fertile Contrada CAVASECCA is located at the beginning of Iblei mountains, delimiting the Siracusa countryside. Inhabited since Neolithic times, during the Greek Age it was a forced passage between Syracuse and the sub-colonies of Akrai (now Palazzolo Acreide) and Kasmenai (now Monte Casale).

The location, the richness of the soil, the proximity to the UNESCO protected sites of Siracusa and Pantalica Necropolis, the valley of Noto with its Baroque architecture, make this a land where thousands of years of history are seasoned by the olive’s cultivation.


Carrying on a family tradition that prizes land, culture and art, in the 90s Antonio and Lucia Ficara bought Tenuta CAVASECCA: an inestimable arboreal heritage of 50 hectares. With their four children – Paolo, Silvia, Dario and Francesco – they start a business based on the ancient canons of beauty peasant and oriented to quality, creativity and style. The love for this type of cultivation and the desire to produce a P.D.O. organic olive oil, led the family

to integrate the centuries old existing Siracusana, Nocellara, Biancolilla and Oglialora (Verdesa) trees, with thousands of Tonda Iblea trees.

Nowadays Dario, after his brilliant economics studies at Bocconi University in Milan and several professional experiences abroad, took the reins of the company with the same energy and passion of his parents.